Project

General

Profile

Misc #14921

DevelopersMeeting20180809Japan

Added by shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) 10 months ago. Updated 6 months ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:87998]

Description

Please comment your favorite ticket numbers you want to ask to discuss with your SHORT comment or summary.
(your summary/comment will help us because we don't need to read all of ticket comments)

DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.


NOTES

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a log about discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place is scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.

Agenda

Next dev-meeting

About 2.6 timeframe

Carry-over from previous meeting(s)

  • [Bug #14887] Array#delete_if does not use #delete (shyouhei)
    • Is it by design, or a bug?
  • [Feature #13050] Readline: expose rl_completion_quote_character variable (nobu)
  • [Feature #14850] Add official API for setting timezone on Time (nobu)
  • [Feature #14869] Proposal to add Hash#=== (nobu)
  • [Feature #14916] Proposal to add Array#=== (aycabta)
  • [Feature #14877] Calculate age in Date class (nobu)
  • [Bug #14908] Enumerator::Lazy creates unnecessary Array objects. (nobu)

From Attendees

(will be edited later)
(if you have a write access permission, please list directly)

  • [Feature #5446] at_fork callback API (eregon) Can we get approval for introducing this? It is solving a real-world issue, in a more reliable way than the various hacks in most Ruby servers.
  • [Feature #11258] add 'x' mode character for O_EXCL (kazu)
  • [Misc #14907] io.c: do not close inherited FDs by default (akr)
  • [Feature #14973] Proposal of percent literal to expand Hash (aycabta)

From non-attendees

  • [Feature #14717] thread: allow disabling preempt (normalperson)
  • [Feature #11076] Enumerable method count_by (baweaver)
    As mentioned in the discussion, Nobu was kind enough to update this to work with current master for Ruby: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/compare/trunk...nobu:feature/11076-Enumerable%23count_by

    As the code is already written I believe it would be an ideal target for 2.6 as a quick win on an often requested feature.

  • [Feature #14954] Add :wait option to RubyVM::MJIT.pause (k0kubun)

    • Since it's not released even in preview2 yet, is it okay to change the behavior?
    • Is there any objection for having the option or the option name?
  • (baweaver)

    • [Feature #14869] Proposal to add Hash#=== (nobu)
    • [Feature #14916] Proposal to add Array#=== (aycabta)
    • [Feature #14912] Introduce pattern matching syntax

    I believe that these three items are related, and personally I could do a lot of very interesting things with Array#=== and Hash#=== that would get us exceptionally close to features discussed in [Feature #14709]

    This to say I would second the inclusion of the first two items as they relate to the third and fourth. It would give Ruby an exceptional amount of power.

  • [Feature #14759] [PATCH] set M_ARENA_MAX for glibc malloc (sam.saffron)
    I would also very much like to see it backported 2.4 and 2.5. It is of enormous value to the ecosystem

  • [Feature #14736] Thread selector for flexible cooperative fiber based concurrency (ioquatix)

  • [Feature #14739] Improve fiber yield/resume performance (ioquatix)

  • [Bug #14968] io.c: make all pipes nonblocking by default (normalperson)

  • [Misc #14937] timer-thread elimination depends on Bug #14968

  • [Feature #14944] Support optional inherit argument for Module#method_defined? (jeremyevans0)

(will be edited later)
(if you have a write access, please list directly)


Related issues

Related to Ruby trunk - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions

History

#1

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) 10 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#2

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 10 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler) 10 months ago

(Sorry for this short comment but I think the issue here is filed under
"Bug" presently, but should perhaps be moved towards "Misc" instead,
like the two prior dev-meetings.)

#5

Updated by matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto) 10 months ago

  • Backport deleted (2.3: UNKNOWN, 2.4: UNKNOWN, 2.5: UNKNOWN)
  • Tracker changed from Bug to Misc

Updated by baweaver (Brandon Weaver) 10 months ago

[Feature #11076] Enumerable method count_by

As mentioned in the discussion, Nobu was kind enough to update this to work with current master for Ruby: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/compare/trunk...nobu:feature/11076-Enumerable%23count_by

As the code is already written I believe it would be an ideal target for 2.6 as a quick win on an often requested feature.

Thank you for reading!

Updated by k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #14954] Add :wait option to RubyVM::MJIT.pause
    • Since it's not released even in preview2 yet, is it okay to change the behavior?
    • Is there any objection for having the option or the option name?

Updated by baweaver (Brandon Weaver) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #14869] Proposal to add Hash#=== (nobu)
  • [Feature #14916] Proposal to add Array#=== (aycabta)
  • [Feature #14912] Introduce pattern matching syntax

I believe that these three items are related, and personally I could do a lot of very interesting things with Array#=== and Hash#=== that would get us exceptionally close to features discussed in [Feature #14709]

This to say I would second the inclusion of the first two items as they relate to the third and fourth. It would give Ruby an exceptional amount of power.

Updated by sam.saffron (Sam Saffron) 10 months ago

really hoping we can make a call on:

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14759

I would also very much like to see it backported 2.4 and 2.5. It is of enormous value to the ecosystem

Updated by duerst (Martin Dürst) 10 months ago

sam.saffron (Sam Saffron) wrote:

really hoping we can make a call on:
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14759

sam.saffron (Sam Saffron): Please follow the format; not everybody can remember numbers. So this should be

  • [Feature #14759] set M_ARENA_MAX for glibc malloc

I would also very much like to see it backported 2.4 and 2.5. It is of enormous value to the ecosystem

Updated by ioquatix (Samuel Williams) 10 months ago

I am in Narita and I will try to come to the meeting. The only reason why I won't make it is because I get lost on the way :)

I would like to discuss the following issues:

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14736

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14739

if we have time.

Updated by baweaver (Brandon Weaver) 10 months ago

[Feature #14967] Any type - Adds a wildcard type, primarily for use in Pattern Matching type syntaxes

This would be related to, and give more expressive power to the following features:

[Feature #14869] Proposal to add Hash#=== (nobu)
[Feature #14916] Proposal to add Array#=== (aycabta)

Updated by normalperson (Eric Wong) 10 months ago

  • [Bug #14968] io.c: make all pipes nonblocking by default

  • [Misc #14937] timer-thread elimination depends on [Bug #14968]

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #14944] Support optional inherit argument for Module#method_defined?
#15

Updated by znz (Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA) 10 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by aycabta (aycabta .) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #14973] Proposal of percent literal to expand Hash

Updated by akr (Akira Tanaka) 10 months ago

[Misc #14907] io.c: do not close inherited FDs by default

#18

Updated by akr (Akira Tanaka) 10 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#19

Updated by naruse (Yui NARUSE) 10 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#20

Updated by shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) 10 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#21

Updated by shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) 10 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#22

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by ioquatix (Samuel Williams) 10 months ago

One more issue which would be awesome to get some input on would be https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14975 if you have time. Thanks!

[Feature #14975] String#append without changing receiver's encoding (ioquatix)

Updated by aycabta (aycabta .) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #14914] Add BasicObject#instance_exec_with_block
#25

Updated by znz (Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA) 10 months ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added
#26

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 6 months ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF