Project

General

Profile

Misc #15782

DevelopersMeeting20190522Japan

Added by k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun) 4 months ago. Updated 3 months ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:92365]

Description

Please comment your favorite ticket numbers you want to ask to discuss with your SHORT comment or summary.
(your summary/comment will help us because we don't need to read all of ticket comments)

DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.


Date: 2019/05/22 (Wed)
Time: 13:00-17:00 (JST)
Place: Speee Inc. (Tokyo, Japan)
Sign-up: https://ruby.connpass.com/event/129507/
log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQ4WMPEs7aF9Aqcz5mktUZVFe3Qh-VYw0fAE5zLi91nZIIKDKcVSZhPAsn1-eAYKtgHK73gY4yUP5HT/pub
logedit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WpcKBNpY6uF23NTJq6uMbbK_3UoxhIMmZc3c4PVnQnU/edit#

NOTES

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a log about discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place is scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.

Agenda

Next dev-meeting

About 2.7 timeframe

Check security tickets

Carry-over from previous meeting(s)

From Attendees

From non-attendees


Please comment your favorite ticket we need to discuss with the following format.

* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
  * your comment why you want to put this ticket here if you want to add.

Your comment is very important if you are no attendee because we can not ask why you want to discuss about it.

Example:

* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
  * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss about this feature.

We don't guarantee to put tickets in agenda if the comment violate the format (because it is hard to copy&paste).


Related issues

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions

History

#1

Updated by k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun) 4 months ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added

Updated by k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun) 4 months ago

  • [Misc #14632] git.ruby-lang.org
    • See 5da52d1210. I committed tentative RUBY_REVISION/RUBY_DESCRIPTION behaviors for preview1 as follows. Is it okay?
      • RUBY_REVISION #=> "5da52d1210" (instead of Integer like 67701. 10 chars like email notification and rubyci.)
      • RUBY_DESCRIPTION #=> "ruby 2.7.0dev (2019-04-22 trunk 5da52d1210) [x86_64-linux]" (10 chars, same as the above)
#3

Updated by znz (Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA) 4 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
  • Subject changed from DevelopersMeeting201905XXJapan to DevelopersMeeting20190522Japan

Updated by tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson) 4 months ago

  • [Feature #15281] Speed up Set#intersect with size check.
    • Everyone likes faster code. But the question is: are Sets ordered? I think Matz must decide.

Updated by greggzst (Grzegorz Jakubiak) 4 months ago

  • [Feature #15323] [PATCH] Proposal: Add Enumerable#filter_map
    • It's expressive as Ruby lang itself
    • Make filter_map(&:predicate) { |elem| elem * 2 } syntax possible
    • Should also consider adding #filter_map!
    • It enables developers to get rid of such code(below) and has been already accepted by Matz:
 (1..10).map{ |elem| elem * 2 if elem % 2 == 0 }.compact
#6

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 4 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#7

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 4 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by koic (Koichi ITO) 4 months ago

  • [Bug #15745] There is no symmetry in the beginless range and the endless range using Range#inspect (koic)
    • I think that the symmetry of beginless range and endless range becomes more clear by unifying whether it displays nil or not.

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) 4 months ago

  • [Feature #14915] Deprecate String#crypt
    • I think we should add a real deprecation warning in 2.7 so we can remove it in a later version.

Updated by alanwu (Alan Wu) 4 months ago

  • [Feature #15765] [PATCH] Module#name without global constant search
    • This fixes the performance problems for #name on anonymous module / classes, but also comes with some small behavioral changes. Are they okay?

Updated by osyo (manga osyo) 4 months ago

  • [Feature #15772] Proposal: Add Time#ceil
    • I want to hear the opinions of developers.
  • [Feature #13645] Syntactic sugar for indexing when using the safe navigation operator
    • I presented a use case.

Updated by osyo (manga osyo) 4 months ago

  • [Feature #15813] Proposal: Add exception support in Range#first
    • I want to hear the opinions of developers

Updated by methodmissing (Lourens Naudé) 4 months ago

  • [Misc #15800] [PATCH] Reduce ONIG_NREGION size from 10 to 4
    • Power of 2 and testing revealed most pattern matches are less than or equal to 4 results
    • MatchData instances over allocate memory for the most common cases
  • [Misc #15802] [PATCH] Reduce the minimum string buffer size from 127 to 63 bytes
    • The most common case for string buffers in Rails processes are less than 63 bytes

Updated by ioquatix (Samuel Williams) 4 months ago

  • [Feature #14736] Thread selector for flexible cooperative fiber based concurrency
    • Is it something we want to move forward with?
    • Extend hooks for wait_one_pid and Kernel::sleep. Are there other areas to hook into?
    • Add some default implementation using IO.select, e.g. IO::Selector, similar to test spec. Should IO.select accept raw file descriptors?
    • Should IO be non-block by default? Should we adjust behaviour dynamically based on context? How to handle File.read which doesn't give opportunity to assign to nonblock.

Updated by greggzst (Grzegorz Jakubiak) 4 months ago

greggzst (Grzegorz Jakubiak) wrote:

  • [Feature #15323] [PATCH] Proposal: Add Enumerable#filter_map
    • It's expressive as Ruby lang itself
    • Make filter_map(&:predicate) { |elem| elem * 2 } syntax possible
    • Should also consider adding #filter_map!
    • It enables developers to get rid of such code(below) and has been already accepted by Matz:
 (1..10).map{ |elem| elem * 2 if elem % 2 == 0 }.compact

Updated

Updated by nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) 3 months ago

k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun) wrote:

  • Can we decide the date to rename the branch "trunk" to "master"? Does anyone have any objection for it? What do we need to prepare for it?
    • Motivation: I've often typo-ed trunk to master even in the git-svn age, because "master" is the standard name for the upstream branch in Git.
    • As yugui (Yuki Sonoda) suggested, should we just use git symbolic-ref refs/remotes/origin/master refs/remotes/origin/trunk?

Just to get rid of a typo, symbolic-ref seems working enough.

Updated by k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun) 3 months ago

(from my previous comment, I changed a plan for the following one and filed another ticket)

  • [Misc #15843] Make "trunk" a symbolic-ref of "master" on git.ruby-lang.org
    • Please see "Expected outcome" part. Do you have any objection for it?

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) 3 months ago

  • [Feature #15778] Expose an API to pry-open the stack frames in Ruby
    • Several points were made in favor of Ruby API. Can we make it so this API is clearly marked as "should only be used for debugging"? Are there other concerns?

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 3 months ago

  • [Bug #7300] Hash#[] の挙動が 1.9.3 と異なっている
    • Can we merge this?

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) 3 months ago

  • [Feature #14844] Future of RubyVM::AST?
    • What can we do about this? The current situation is confusing for everyone, the API sounds "blessed" by being in core but it's actually experimental and unstable. Can we document it as clearly as possible when this API should be used? Could we improve the API so it's less fragile to parser changes and could be reasonably implemented on other Ruby implementations?

Updated by bogdanvlviv (Bogdan Denkovych) 3 months ago

  • [Feature #15863] Add Hash#slice! and ENV.slice!(bogdanvlviv)
    • I would like to discuss these methods(name, behavior, implementation), and whether we want to add them to Ruby.
  • [Feature #15831] Add Array#extract, Hash#extract, and ENV.extract (bogdanvlviv)
    • I would like to discuss these methods(name, behavior, implementation), and whether we want to add them to Ruby.

Updated by shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) 3 months ago

  • [Feature #14915] Deprecate String#crypt
    • Is anybody against adding warning?

Updated by osyo (manga osyo) 3 months ago

  • [Feature #15864] Proposal: Add methods to determine if it is an infinite range
    • I want to hear the opinions of developers.

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 3 months ago

  • [Feature #15865] <expr> in <pattern> expression
    • One-line pattern matching. ktsj, ko1, nobu, and me like it. WDYT?

Updated by mrkn (Kenta Murata) 3 months ago

Today's venue has been changed to Speee Inc. at Roppongi.
Do not go pixiv.

#26

Updated by mrkn (Kenta Murata) 3 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#27

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 3 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#28

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 3 months ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF