Project

General

Profile

Misc #17346

DevelopersMeeting20201210Japan

Added by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 2 months ago. Updated 28 days ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:101093]

Description

The next dev meeting

Date: 2020/12/10 13:00-17:00
Place/Sign-up/Agenda/Log: https://github.com/ruby/dev-meeting-log/blob/master/DevelopersMeeting20201210Japan.md

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a log about the discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.
  • DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.

Call for agenda items

If you have a ticket that you want matz and committers to discuss, please post it into this ticket in the following format:

* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
  * Comment (A summary of the ticket, why you put this ticket here, what point should be discussed, etc.)

Example:

* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
  * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.
  • Comment deadline: 2020/12/03 (one week before the meeting)
  • The format is strict. We'll use this script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda. We may ignore a comment that does not follow the format.
  • Your comment is mandatory. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time.

Related issues

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions
#1

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 2 months ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17351] Deprecate Random::DEFAULT (eregon)
    • Is it OK?
  • [Feature #16697] Hash.ruby2_keywords_hash?(value) should support any object (eregon)
    • Yes/no?

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17055] Allow suppressing uninitialized instance variable and method redefined verbose mode warnings (jeremyevans0)
    • Can we completely remove uninitialized instance variable warnings? Then we don't need this feature. I would very much like that in Ruby 3.
  • [Bug #17280] Dir.glob with FNM_DOTMATCH matches ".." and "." and results in duplicated entries (jeremyevans0)
    • Do we want to change the behavior to exclude ".." and duplicate results?
    • If so, is the pull request acceptable?
  • [Bug #17162] Dir['*/'] : stack smashing detected when listing big amount of directories (jeremyevans0)
    • Do we want to add an internal recursion limit to try to prevent this?
  • [Bug #17218] Range#step sometimes behaves unexpectedly with Rational endpoints and increment (jeremyevans0)
    • This is caused by calling rb_int_* functions directly instead of Ruby methods.
    • Do we want to switch arith_seq_last to using Ruby methods, and if so, should all of the rb_int_* be switched, or just the minimal number?
    • The pull request only changes three of the rb_int_* to rb_funcall, is it OK?
  • [Bug #13663] String#upto doesn't work as expected (jeremyevans0)
    • I think the current behavior of String#upto in this case is expected and not a bug.
    • Is it OK to close this?

Updated by MaxLap (Maxime Lapointe) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17342] Add Hash#fetch_set (maxlap)
    • Yes/no?

Updated by znz (Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17361] lambda(&block) does not warn with lazy proc allocation (znz)
    • optimization affects warnings

Updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17314] Method declarations (marcandre)
    • Have Module#protected, private, public accept a single Array argument of symbols (and also private_class_method/public_class_method for consistency)
    • Have Module#attr_reader, attr_writer, attr_accessor return an array of the method newly defined methods instead of nil
    • Have Module#alias_method return the symbol of the method defined instead of the receiver
    • Notes: All points are related but not dependant and are requested separately. Forwardable#def_delegators and ActiveSupport's delegate already return array of symbols

Updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17363] Timeouts (marcandre)
    • Add timeout parameter to Queue.pop, Ractor.receive, ...
    • And/or Timeout::wake that would make these operations safer by raising only if thread is asleep (and presumably in a safe state)

Updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) about 2 months ago

  • Meta: please change future deadlines from a week before the meetings to 1 or 2 days before (marcandre)

Updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17357] Queue#pop should have a block form for clsoed queues (marcandre)
    • Have a way to distinguish nil from closed queue in Queue#pop
    • Adding block form similar to fetch ok?

Updated by ktsj (Kazuki Tsujimoto) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17371] Reintroduce expr in pat (ktsj)
    • Is it OK?

Updated by connorshea (Connor Shea) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #15975] Add Array#pluck/Enumerable#pluck method
    • It pulls values out of an array of hashes (e.g. array of user hashes, users.pluck(:username) gets all their usernames)
    • Please reconsider adding the method. I've added a comment to the issue with an example of when it'd be useful for me.
    • Is matz opposed to the method existing at all, or just the name?

Updated by larskanis (Lars Kanis) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #12650] Use UTF-8 encoding for ENV on Windows (larskanis)
    • See this with the next topic together
  • [Feature #16604] Set default for Encoding.default_external to UTF-8 on Windows (larskanis)
    • Both have been postponed to ruby-3.0 years ago
    • default_external = UTF-8 is already de facto standard

Updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17365] Adding channel to Ractor push api (marcandre)
    • yes/no?
  • [Feature #17323] Ractor-local storage (marcandre)
    • What API to use?

Updated by jonathanhefner (Jonathan Hefner) about 2 months ago

Updated by naruse (Yui NARUSE) about 2 months ago

  • [Misc #17376] Reduce GitHub Actions

Updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #17380] Useful include/prepend in refine (marcandre)
    • yes/no?

Updated by k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #16806] Struct#initialize accepts keyword arguments too by default (k0kubun)
    • Is there any update on kwargs since the last discussion? Can we introduce a warning for it in 3.0?
#18

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 28 days ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed
  • Description updated (diff)

Also available in: Atom PDF