Project

General

Profile

Actions

Misc #18122

closed

DevelopersMeeting20210916Japan

Added by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago. Updated 9 months ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:105021]

Description

The next dev meeting

Date: 2021/09/16 13:00-17:00
Place/Sign-up/Agenda/Log: https://github.com/ruby/dev-meeting-log/blob/master/DevelopersMeeting20210916Japan.md

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a log about the discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.
  • DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.

Call for agenda items

If you have a ticket that you want matz and committers to discuss, please post it into this ticket in the following format:

* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
  * Comment (A summary of the ticket, why you put this ticket here, what point should be discussed, etc.)

Example:

* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
  * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.
  • It is recommended to add a comment by 2021/09/13. We hold a preparatory meeting to create an agenda a few days before the dev-meeting.
  • The format is strict. We'll use this script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda. We may ignore a comment that does not follow the format.
  • Your comment is mandatory. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time. We appreciate it if you could write a short summary and update from a previous discussion.

Related issues 1 (1 open0 closed)

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions
Actions #1

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added

Updated by zverok (Victor Shepelev) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #18136] take_while_after (or take_upto)
    • I have proposed it once a long time ago, but those examples were convoluted; now I came with clearer ones and explanations of the usefulness.
    • I am ready to work on the PR, if accepted.

Updated by kou (Kouhei Sutou) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #18143] Add a new method to change GC.stress only in the given block such as GC.with_stress(flag) {...} (kou)
    • This feature is generally useful for debugging GC related problems and writing tests for them.
    • We don't need to implement the same feature multiple times if GC provides the feature by default.

Updated by shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) 10 months ago

Updated by byroot (Jean Boussier) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #18148] Marshal.load freeze option
    • Useful to deserialize static data that is meant to stay in memory.
    • Useful for in-memory caches.
    • JSON,Psych and MessagePack all added a similar option in the last couple years.
  • [Bug #18141] Marshal load with proc yield strings before they are fully initialized
    • UTF-8 strings are yielded as ASCII-8BIT because their encoding isn't set yet.
    • If the proc freeze the string, Marshal.load raises a FrozenError

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 10 months ago

  • How about these proposals? Does anyone have an objections for them?
    • [Feature #17297]: Feature: Introduce Pathname.mktmpdir
    • [Feature #17296]: Feature: Pathname#chmod use FileUtils.chmod instead of File
    • [Feature #17294]: Feature: Allow method chaining with Pathname#mkpath Pathname#rmtree
    • [Feature #17295]: Feature: Create a directory and file with Pathname#touch

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 10 months ago

Updated by duerst (Martin Dürst) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #18159] Integrate functionality of dead_end gem into Ruby (duerst)
    • It would be very helpful for beginners

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) 10 months ago

  • [Bug #15027] When Struct#each method is overriden Struct#select and Struct#to_a use wrong collections (jeremyevans0)
    • Do we want methods like Struct#select to internally call #each (at least if #each is overridden)? (I'm against making such a change)
  • [Bug #11182] Refinement with alias causes strange behavior (jeremyevans0)
    • I think the current behavior of alias is expected and is not a bug. Can this be closed?
  • [Bug #17568] Thread.handle_interrupt is per-Thread but should probably be per-Fiber (jeremyevans0)
    • Do we want to make Thread.handle_interrupt a per-Fiber setting?
    • Seems confusing to me to do so, considering it's a method defined on Thread.
  • [Bug #17429] Prohibit include/prepend in refinement modules (jeremyevans0)
    • @shugo (Shugo Maeda) has a patch to deprecate Refinement prepend/include, and add Refinement#import.
    • Is it OK to merge @shugo's patch?
  • [Bug #17048] Calling initialize_copy on live modules leads to crashes (jeremyevans0)
    • It's still possible to hang the interpreter by calling Module#initialize_copy directly.
    • Do we want to make changes in this area, or is OK to accept the current behavior and close this issue?

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

@shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) @hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) please follow the comment format. My dev-meeting setup script ignores your topics.

Updated by shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) 10 months ago

mame (Yusuke Endoh) wrote in #note-10:

@shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) @hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) please follow the comment format. My dev-meeting setup script ignores your topics.

How? Mine is not about a BTS ticket.

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) wrote in #note-11:

mame (Yusuke Endoh) wrote in #note-10:

@shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) @hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) please follow the comment format. My dev-meeting setup script ignores your topics.

How? Mine is not about a BTS ticket.

Please create a ticket. Alternatively, you can propose another good way to create an agenda markdown automatically.

Actions #13

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 9 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
Actions #14

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 9 months ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed
Actions

Also available in: Atom PDF