The next dev meeting¶
Date: 2020/02/27 13:00-17:00
- Dev meeting IS NOT a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
- Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
- Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
- We will write a log about the discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
- All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
- The date, time and place are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.
- DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.
Call for agenda items¶
If you have a ticket that you want matz and committers to discuss, please post it into this ticket in the following format:
* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name) * Comment (A summary of the ticket, why you put this ticket here, what point should be discussed, etc.)
* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1) * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.
- Comment deadline: 2020/02/20 (one week before the meeting)
- The format is strict. We'll use this script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda. We may ignore a comment that does not follow the format.
- Your comment is mandatory. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time.
Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) almost 3 years ago
- [Feature #9573] descendants of a module don't gain its future ancestors, but descendants of a class, do (jeremyevans0)
- A patch exists for Module#include that passes make check, is it OK to merge?
- A patch exists for Module#prepend that still has many issues to resolve and requires creating origin classes for almost all modules, do we want to try to support this feature for Module#prepend?
- [Feature #13675] Should Zlib::GzipReader#ungetc accept nil? (jeremyevans0)
- Has matz decided whether to fix IO#ungetc? If so, is the patch OK?
- [Feature #11304] [PATCH] Kernel.global_variables should observe $~. (jeremyevans0)
- Do we want to modify the behavior of Kernel.global_variables for $1, $2, etc.
- Do we want defined? for $& $' $+ $1 $2 to depend on whether $~ is set?
- Should defined? for global variable aliases always be the same as what they alias?
Updated by byroot (Jean Boussier) almost 3 years ago
Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) almost 3 years ago
- [Feature #16463] Fixing *args-delegation in Ruby 2.7: ruby2_keywords semantics by default in 2.7.1 (eregon)
- It would be good to decide.
- We can also discuss it at the RubyKaigi dev meeting, but is that not too late for 2.7.1?
Updated by Dan0042 (Daniel DeLorme) almost 3 years ago
- [Feature #16511] Staged warnings and better compatibility for keyword arguments in 2.7.1 (Dan0042)
- All the benefits of separation of keyword/positional arguments.
- Less disruptive migration in the near term; only the strict necessary breaks next year, fewer gems to upgrade.
- Fewer incompatibilities, inconsistencies, and side effects. (specifics in note 12)
- This is not theoretical, I've implemented it: https://git.io/JvWXA (last 4 commits; other commits with "refactor" are not strictly relevant)
- The implementation touches a lot of code; it's well-tested, but maybe too much, too late.
- For some reason it seems no one understands my proposal? I can volunteer to answer questions at the dev meeting... if desired.