Project

General

Profile

Actions

Misc #17635

closed

DevelopersMeeting20210317Japan

Added by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 2 months ago. Updated 24 days ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:102542]

Description

The next dev meeting

Date: 2021/03/17 13:00-17:00
Place/Sign-up/Agenda/Log: https://github.com/ruby/dev-meeting-log/blob/master/DevelopersMeeting20210317Japan.md

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a log about the discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.
  • DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.

Call for agenda items

If you have a ticket that you want matz and committers to discuss, please post it into this ticket in the following format:

* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
  * Comment (A summary of the ticket, why you put this ticket here, what point should be discussed, etc.)

Example:

* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
  * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.
  • It is recommended to add a comment by 2021/03/14. We hold a preparatory meeting to create an agenda a few days before the dev-meeting.
  • The format is strict. We'll use this script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda. We may ignore a comment that does not follow the format.
  • Your comment is mandatory. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time. We appreciate it if you could write a short summary and update from a previous discussion.

Related issues

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions
Actions #1

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 2 months ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) about 1 month ago

  • [Misc #17662] The heredoc pattern used in tests does not syntax highlight correctly in many editors (eregon)
    • Can we use something else in tests?

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) about 1 month ago

  • [Feature #15752] A dedicated module for experimental features (eregon)
    • I'd like to finish this discussion and then we can close it.
    • matz said "we need to rewrite our programs when the feature graduated from the experimental state" but this is already an issue for RubyVM, so I don't understand this argument.
    • My feeling is ruby-core is not going to change anything here. That's OK, but be aware that RubyVM will become de facto no longer experimental and no longer MRI-specific.
    • If so, I think we should update the docs to say RubyVM is just "a module about VM-related features".

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago

  • [Misc #17641] pocke should have a commit bit (mame)
    • He has passionately contributed to Ruby, mainly RBS but also the rdoc improvements of ruby/ruby. I believe that giving him a commit bit will facilitate his work.

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) about 1 month ago

  • [Bug #11335] ruby -r debug catchpoint problem (jeremyevans0)
    • This support is broken since Ruby 2.0.
    • The debug library has no tests, and I'm guessing minimal usage.
    • Can we remove debug from stdlib in Ruby 3.1?
    • Alternatively, do we want to rewrite debug to use TracePoint instead of set_trace_func?
  • [Bug #17354] Module#const_source_location is misleading for constants awaiting autoload (jeremyevans0)
    • Currently, Module#const_source_location returns autoload location and not definition location, which seems wrong.
    • It could return [], similar to constants defined in C where we don't know the location.
    • It could trigger the autoload, and then return the definition location.
    • Which behavior is desired for Module#const_source_location?
    • Related, should Module#const_defined? trigger autoload instead of assuming the constant is defined?
  • [Bug #17164] Threads can ignore kill/interrupt/abort (jeremyevans0)
    • Basically, use of ensure/raise/rescue can make ruby unkillable without kill -9.
    • I think this behavior is expected. Can we confirm that?
  • [Bug #16996] Hash should avoid doing unnecessary rehash (jeremyevans0)
    • High performance code generally works around this by using Hash.[].
    • Can we remove the rehashing in Hash#dup and #clone?
  • [Bug #16908] Strange behaviour of Hash#shift when used with default_proc. (jeremyevans0)
    • Currently, Hash#shift calls the default proc with nil if the hash is empty and the hash has a default proc, and returns only the value.
    • This is similar to when the hash has a default value, where only the default value is returned if the hash is empty.
    • I think this behavior is expected. Can we confirm that?

Updated by naruse (Yui NARUSE) about 1 month ago

  • [Feature #17684] Remove --disable-gems from release version of Ruby
    • Recently this increases the cost of the ecosystem

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) about 1 month ago

  • [Bug #16608] ConditionVariable#wait should return false when timeout exceeded (jeremyevans0)
    • nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) requested review of this during the developer meeting.
    • Is it OK to make ConditionVariable#wait return false if timed out instead of always returning true?
    • Is it OK to add Mutex#sleep_for, which returns nil if the sleeps times out?
    • Alternatively, is it OK to change the behavior of Mutex#sleep to return nil if the sleep times out?
Actions #8

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 24 days ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed
  • Description updated (diff)
Actions

Also available in: Atom PDF