Fixes for the benchmark library
Seeing the 1.9.3 release coming, I thought it was a good time to introduce some small fixes for the benchmark library.
You can see the commits on my benchmark branch, after the Merge commit: https://github.com/eregon/ruby/compare/trunk...benchmark
The changes are:
lib/benchmark (Benchmark#bmbm): bmbm should be consistent with bm for the return value
lib/benchmark (Benchmark#bmbm): remove useless explicit call, #format is an alias of #to_s
test/benchmark: add a test for format of long time
test/benchmark: remove preemptive test instead of skipping
I removed the preemptive test I wrote for Feature #4197.
I'll add it back when the implementation will be able to satisfy it.
lib/benchmark: fix label width: always add 1 to ensure there is a space delimiter even with times over 100s
When I asked for Feature #4197, I wanted to make delimiting spaces consistent for #bm and #bmbm.
I thought #bmbm was adding an extra space, compared to #bm, and so I removed that space.
But with times over 100s, the output contains no space between the label and the first time (user).
Now both ensure there is always a space, even if that means 3 spaces with times under 10s (because it is formatted as %10.6f)
test/benchmark: let labels be a constant
lib/benchmark (Benchmark#realtime): avoid creating an unused Proc
lib/benchmark (Benchmark#benchmark): use ensure clause to restore STDOUT.sync, as in #bmbm
Please let me know what I can do to help committing these changes.
I am assigning to Yui since he took care of the previous issue, feel free to change.
Thank you, and may 1.9.3 be a great release !